Jump to navigation Jump to search
Unknown. Presumably named after Pope Julius II, the Warrior Pope.
- (obsolete) A sixteenth-century gambling card game about which little is known.
- 1532 November 30, Privy Purse Expences of King Henry VIII, 30 Novembre 1532:
- Item the laste day delived unto the kings grace whiche his grace lost at pope July game wt my lady marquess and m Weston xvj cor
- c. 1596, Sir John Harington, A Treatise on Playe, quoted in Nugae antiquae, published 1804:
- Pope Julio (if I fail not in the name, and sure I am that there is a game of the cards after his name) was a great and wary player, a great vertue in a man of his profession