Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

What's the name of the piece of bread at the ends of the loaf that's all crust. I feel like there's a one syllable word for them, but I can't remember what it is…

It's a topper (at least, that's what I have always known it as) SemperBlotto 15:51, 14 Jun 2005 (UTC)
The answer I found elsewhere is heel. It sounds right to me.
Heel is certainly all I've ever heard. Could this be a UK/US difference?
I can't find topper (for this meaning) in any dictionary. It is probably local (Bristolian). SemperBlotto 16:39, 14 Jun 2005 (UTC)

A single Middle English (dictionary) citation, moved from the entry where it had been sorted erroneously according to the 1962 date under the English section: