Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

Homograph - bed thing?[edit]

Apparently, my phonetics book says there is a homograph to the linguistics/chemistry sense - it would mean the side or the edge of the bed...Is anyone familiar with that? The first syllable would then differ - the linguistics sense would be pronounced with a 'hey' sound, the bed sense would be pronounced with a 'cat' sound.zigzig20s 15:58, 6 January 2007 (UTC)

I figured it out, it's the fringes on a blanket. I'll add it. (I would be interested in finding more proof than my phonetics book though.) zigzig20s 02:58, 28 January 2007 (UTC)
Keep tidy.svg

The following information has failed Wiktionary's verification process.

Failure to be verified may either mean that this information is fabricated, or is merely beyond our resources to confirm. We have archived here the disputed information, the verification discussion, and any documentation gathered so far, pending further evidence.
Do not re-add this information to the article without also submitting proof that it meets Wiktionary's criteria for inclusion.


Rfv-sense: fringes on a blanket. This should be an alternative spelling of valance, right? Valance does not have this specific meaning, afaict. DCDuring Holiday Greetings! 02:45, 12 January 2009 (UTC)

Either that or a misspelling. --EncycloPetey 04:25, 12 January 2009 (UTC)
Some dictionaries have it as alternative. I'm wondering whether there is some regional difference. DCDuring Holiday Greetings! 15:51, 12 January 2009 (UTC)
Or a confusion between the almost identical spellings and perhaps pronunciations. An etymology for valance might help. Pingku 17:06, 30 January 2009 (UTC)

RFV failed, sense removed. Note that DCDuring, shortly after starting this discussion, added a {{alternative spelling of|valance}} sense, which I am not removing. If anyone wishes that sense gone, please feel free to RFV or RFD it. —RuakhTALK 22:01, 12 July 2010 (UTC)