Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Noun form of ventile[edit]

There seems to be a use of the word ventile as a noun in the New York Times today, 6 Nov 2011. I don't understand exactly what the word means, but it would appear to be some percentage distribution (therefore, apparently related to percentile, of a population.

The way it is used, is the worldwide income distribution is graphed on the y-axis, and individual countries ventiles, from 1 to 20, are plotted on the x-axis. Here is the link to the NYT article: The Haves and the Have-Nots.

Is a ventile merely a percentage distribution divided into twenty parts? (20 pieces each divided into 5 percentage points?) -- just like a quintile is a percentage distribution divided into five parts and a quartile a percentage distribution divided into four parts?

In short, I think we need to add this noun sense of ventile to the Wiktionary. Cheers. N2e 14:44, 6 November 2011 (UTC)

Thanks SemperBlotto!!! That was amazingly responsive. N2e 15:45, 6 November 2011 (UTC)