Jump to navigation Jump to search
Humorous modern use of Middle English plural ending, VAX (“Virtual Address eXtension”) + -en.
VAXen pl (plural only)
- (computing, slang) plural of VAX (“a computer system of the 1970s”)
- 1987, Joseph Burton Farrell, A Versatile Tool for Data File Transfer and Manipulation:
- PDP-11s are still used in the atsea data collection role, so some means is necessary of transferring the data files thus produced to the VAXen […]
- 1992, Carl Malamud, Exploring the Internet: a technical travelogue:
- On the back-end Ethernet would be another series of VAXen, which would contain a cache of recently accessed frames.
- 2002, Thomas Lawrence Sterling, Beowulf cluster computing with Linux:
- Scientists were able to own and operate their own computers and get more computing resources with their own VAXen, including those that were operated as the first clusters.