A translation of Italian Città del Vaticano (“Vatican City”), itself translated from Latin Civitas Vaticana, referring to the Vatican Hill (Mons Vaticanus) where the Vatican City is located. The name of the hill is believed to come from Latin vaticinari (“to prophesy”), apparently because there were prophets (vates) in that area. It is also possible, though, that Vaticanus comes from a presumable nearby Etruscan settlement, possibly called Vatica or Vaticum.
Vatikāns f (4th declension)
- the Vatican (small country within the city of Rome in Italy, in Western Europe; the Holy See)
- Vatikāna karogs ― the flag of the Vatican
- Vatikāna dārzi ― the gardens of the Vatican
- Vatikāna radio ― Vatican radio
- Vatikāns ir pasaules mazākā valsts ― the Vatican is the world's smallest country
- apkārt Vatikānam ir uzbūvēta augsta akmens siena, kas kalpo kā valsts robeža ― around the Vatican a tall stone wall was built that serves as the country's border