- A habitational surname.
- A female given name transferred from the surname, popular in the 1980s and 1990s.
- 1993 James Crumley, The Mexican Tree Duck, Picador 1994, ISBN 0330338528, page 138:
- "I don't believe I've ever known a woman named 'Whitney'," I said, trying not to look too deeply into her bright blue eyes. "Or, hell, even a man for that matter."
- "You've never heard of Whitney Houston?"
- "Who's that?" I said, realizing that I had never gotten really serious about a woman with blue eyes.
- ^ Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges: A Concise Dictionary of First Names. Oxford University Press 2001.