Bold and italics
The wiki can accept some HTML tags, but most people prefer to use the built-in wiki markup language, which is designed for ease of editing. The most commonly used character formatting styles are bold and italics. Bolding and italicizing is done by surrounding a word or phrase with multiple apostrophes:
- ''italics'' is rendered as italics. (2 apostrophes)
- '''bold''' is rendered as bold. (3 apostrophes)
- '''''bold italics''''' is rendered as bold italics. (2+3=5 apostrophes)
Entries are generally written to resemble standard dictionary entries, so we do not follow Wikipedia's convention of including the title of the entry in bold in the first paragraph. Instead we use various headings to organize the information. For more information on the format guidelines for a page, see Wiktionary:Entry layout.
Headings and subheadings
Headings can be created like this:
- ==Top level heading== (with 2 equals signs)
- ===Subheading=== (3 equals signs)
- ====Another level down==== (4 equals signs)
And so forth. If you find you need headings with 5 or more equals signs, you should probably consider restructuring the entry. Headings with only 1 equals sign are never used in the main namespace, and hardly ever used outside it.
When you're done, click here to continue.