Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
heading (plural headings)
- The title or topic of a document, article, chapter, or of a section thereof.
- (nautical) The direction into which a seagoing or airborne vessel's bow is pointing (apparent heading) and/or the direction into which it is actually moving relative to the ground (true heading)
- Material for the heads of casks, barrels, etc.
- (mining) A gallery, drift, or adit in a mine; also, the end of a drift or gallery; the vein above a drift.
- (sewing) The extension of a line ruffling above the line of stitch.
- (masonry) The end of a stone or brick which is presented outward.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Knight to this entry?)