Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Above the surface of the ground.
- (figuratively) Above the surface.
2012 March-April, Anna Lena Phillips, “Sneaky Silk Moths”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 172:
- Last spring, the periodical cicadas emerged across eastern North America. Their vast numbers and short above-ground life spans inspired awe and irritation in humans—and made for good meals for birds and small mammals.
- Not dead and buried; alive.
- Existing, produced, or published by or within the establishment.
- (above the surface of the ground): belowground, underground
- (existing, produced, or published by or within the establishment): underground
above the surface of the ground
existing, produced, or published by or within the establishment
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- The portion of society that is not underground.