Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (onomatopoeia) the sound of a quiet cough or of clearing one's throat
- an exclamation or cough to get attention
- Ahem! Could we please get started?
- an exclamation of disapproval or annoyance
- Ahem! In case you didn't notice, I did my share, too.
- an exclamation to indicate sarcasm
- I really (ahem!) liked the chocolate broccoli surprise.
exclamation or cough to get attention
exclamation of disapproval or annoyance
ahem (plural ahems)
- A use of the interjection, ahem.