Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Alanna
- (dialect, Ireland, as a term of address) child
1872, John Fiske, Myths and Myth-Makers:
- He was sentenced to be hung without any trial worth speaking of; but as he was carted to the gallows an old woman cried out, "Ach, Jimmy alanna!
1902, M.E. Francis (Mrs. Francis Blundell), North, South and Over the Sea:
- Well, alanna," he continued in an altered tone, "don't be frettin' yourself anyway.
1905, George Bernard Shaw, The Irrational Knot:
- Come here, alanna," said the voice, with mock fondness.
- definite genitive plural of alur