Jump to navigation Jump to search
alfaqui (plural alfaquis)
- (historical) An Islamic cleric, an expert in Islamic law and jurisprudence, especially in medieval and early modern Spain. [from 17th c.]
- 1632, J. Morgan, A Compleat History of the present seat of war in Africa:
- It was the Head of the Christians Alfaqui, or Priest; so they termed the Cardinal.
- 1779, Henry Swinburne, Travels through Spain:
- The Alcayde found the prince playing at chess with an Alfaqui or priest.
- 1852, Washington Irving, Tales from the Alhambra:
- The Court of Lions was thronged with guards and courtiers and alfaquis, as in the old times of the Moors […]
- alfaqui in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.