Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Worship of a god or gods that are foreign to one's own land.
1854, Jeremy Taylor, The Whole Works of the Right Rev. Jeremy Taylor, page 436:
- I consider that in the first commandment where atheism and polytheism and allotheism are forbidden directly and principally.
- 1864, James Gracey Murphy Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Genesis, page 464:
- But we should not forget that the world was yet too young to have arrived at the rigid and sharply-defined systems of polytheism or allotheism to which we are accustomed.
1879, John Heyl Vincent, The lesson commentary on the International lessons for 1880, page 164:
- The inhabitants, also, of Ur had fallen into polytheism, or, if we may so speak, allotheism, the worship of other gods.
- 1984, Akbar S. Ahmed, David M. Hart, Islam in Tribal Societies: From the Atlas to the Indus, page 8: