Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ə.lɔŋˈsaɪd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ə.lɒŋˈsaɪd/
Audio (US) (file)
alongside (not comparable)
along the side; by the side; side by side with
- Together with or at the same time.
- 2011 September 2, Phil McNulty, “Bulgaria 0-3 England”, in BBC:
- The Italian opted for Bolton's Cahill alongside captain John Terry - and his decision was rewarded with a goal after only 13 minutes. Bulgaria gave a hint of defensive frailties to come when they failed to clear Young's corner, and when Gareth Barry found Cahill in the box he applied the finish past Nikolay Mihaylov.
- 2013 June 1, “Ideas coming down the track”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8838, page 13 (Technology Quarterly):
- A “moving platform” scheme […] is more technologically ambitious than maglev trains even though it relies on conventional rails. Local trains would use side-by-side rails to roll alongside intercity trains and allow passengers to switch trains by stepping through docking bays.
- The nurse worked alongside the doctor.