Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ə.lɔŋˈsaɪd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ə.lɒŋˈsaɪd/
Audio (US) (file)
alongside (not comparable)
along the side; by the side; side by side with
- Together with or at the same time.
2011 September 2, Phil McNulty, “Bulgaria 0-3 England”, BBC:
- The Italian opted for Bolton's Cahill alongside captain John Terry - and his decision was rewarded with a goal after only 13 minutes. Bulgaria gave a hint of defensive frailties to come when they failed to clear Young's corner, and when Gareth Barry found Cahill in the box he applied the finish past Nikolay Mihaylov.
2013 June 1, “Ideas coming down the track”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8838, page 13 (Technology Quarterly):
- A “moving platform” scheme […] is more technologically ambitious than maglev trains even though it relies on conventional rails. Local trains would use side-by-side rails to roll alongside intercity trains and allow passengers to switch trains by stepping through docking bays.
- The nurse worked alongside the doctor.