Jump to navigation Jump to search
applying (usually uncountable, plural applyings)
- The act of applying; an application.
- 1881, Charles Stewart Parnell, Report of the Trial of the Queen:
- The League felt that no benefit could arise from meek and gentle applyings to Parliament […]
- 2012 March 1, Henry Petroski, “Opening Doors”, in American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 112-3:
- A doorknob of whatever roundish shape is effectively a continuum of levers, with the axis of the latching mechanism—known as the spindle—being the fulcrum about which the turning takes place. Applying a force tangential to the knob is essentially equivalent to applying one perpendicular to a radial line defining the lever.