Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
ashplant (plural ashplants)
- An ash sapling.
- (Ireland) A walking stick.
1922, James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, page 264:
- The colonnade above him made him think vaguely of an ancient temple and the ashplant on which he leaned wearily of the curved stick of an augur. / He began to beat the frayed end of his ashplant against the base of a pillar.
1928, Mary Butts, Armed With Madness, page 8:
- She look her hat, and ashplant, and left them.
- 1969, Seamus Heaney, The Outlaw, line 20-21
- "She'll do," said Kelly and tapped his ash-plant / Across her hindquarters.
- 2001, Carol Kendall, Erik Blegvad, The Gammage Cup: A Novel of the Minnipins, page 221
- Unconscious of their bulging eyes, he pounded on the door of the mayor's house with the knob of his ashplant.