Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /bəˈsuːn/
- (General American) enPR: bə-so͞onʹ, IPA(key): /bəˈsun/
- Rhymes: -uːn
- Hyphenation: bas‧soon
bassoon (plural bassoons)
- A musical instrument in the woodwind family, having a double reed and playing in the tenor and bass ranges.
- Synonym: fagotto (dated)
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
- Higher and higher every day, / Till over the mast at noon— / The Wedding-Guest here beat his breast, / For he heard the loud bassoon.
musical instrument in the woodwind family
- To play the bassoon.
- To make a bassoon-like sound.
- Illative singular form of basso.