Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: bellpull
bell-pull (plural bell-pulls)
- A rope that rings a bell.
- A handle attached to a rope that rings a bell.
- 1886, Thomas Hardy, chapter 7, in The Mayor of Casterbridge:
- While she was doing this the wood partition in the centre of the house thrilled to its centre with the tugging of a bell-pull upstairs. A bell below tinkled a note that was feebler in sound than the twanging of wires and cranks that had produced it.
- Not to be confused with a bell rope.
rope that rings a bell