Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Mercurial ointment.
1861, Richard Barwell, A Treatise on the Joints, page 185:
- His arm was placed on a rectangular splint, wrapped in a piece of lint thickly smeared with blue ointment, and the whole covered with oil-silk; and he was ordered a purge of blue pill followed by senna and salts.
- 1919, Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 73:
- In this article we called attention to the fact that blue ointment was more volatile than calomel.
- 1974, GB Edwards, The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, New York 2007, p. 115:
- The worst I got was the crabs and I got rid of those with blue ointment.