Reborrowed from Japanese ボール (bōru, “board”), itself from English board. Alternatively, an abbreviation of the term Danbooru (from Japanese 段ボール, danbōru, “corrugated cardboard”), the name of a particular imageboard software product. (This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium. Particularly: “not sure about this”)
booru (plural boorus)
- (Internet) A form of imageboard where images are categorized with tags.
- 2021 February 1, Retromorpher, Casual Discussion Fridays - Week of February 05, 2021:
- If you could remember the name of the artist, there's a decent chance one of those booru projects have it.
- 2019 February 1, Proton Jon, (Please provide the book title or journal name):
- We've created a Booru for fanart posts now for the community to use.
- 2018 December 1, Neikki, Looking for a "booru" browser:
- I would like an app that let you add booru sites and that can support a large number of them (Danbooru, Safebooru, Zerochan, Anime-Pictures, ...).