See also: byheart
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /baɪ ˈhɑːt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /baɪ ˈhɑɹt/
Audio (US) (file)
- (idiomatic) Knowing completely; as having committed completely to memory.
- He used to live in that town, and he still knows all the streets by heart.
- 1945 August 17, George Orwell, chapter 3, in Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, London: Secker & Warburg, OCLC 3655473:
- None of the other animals on the farm could get further than the letter A. It was also found that the stupider animals, such as the sheep, hens, and ducks, were unable to learn the Seven Commandments by heart.