- Pronunciation spelling of chiaus. [from 19th c.]
1874, Baker, Samuel W., Ismailïa: a narrative of the expedition to Central Africa for the suppression of the slave trade: organized by Ismail, Khedive of Egypt, volume 2, London: Macmillan, OCLC 858261921, page 299:
- The other bodies were those of the choush that had fallen by my side, and the soldier who had been shot on the parapet.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:choush.
- "Chiaus" in A New English dictionary on historical principles, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1893, volume 2, p. 334.
- “chiaus, n.”, in OED Online, Oxford: Oxford University Press, launched 2000.