Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /kənˈtɛm(p).tʃu.əs/, /kənˈtɛm(p).tʃəs/, /kənˈtɛm(p).tju.əs/
- (US) IPA(key): /kənˈtɛmp.tʃu.əs/
- Showing contempt; expressing disdain; showing a lack of respect.
- I don't know that guy, but he just gave me a contemptuous look.
- 1922, Ben Travers, chapter 5, in A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- The most rapid and most seductive transition in all human nature is that which attends the palliation of a ravenous appetite. […] Can those harmless but refined fellow-diners be the selfish cads whose gluttony and personal appearance so raised your contemptuous wrath on your arrival?