Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To use temporary overnight accommodations in one or more private residences, especially without cash payment.
1996, “Couch Surfer” (song):
- Move into your house, I'm a couch surfer, Can I crash at your place again? Just one more night? I'm surfing, couch surfing
2004, Elizabeth Peavey, Maine & me: ten years of Down East adventures, page 13:
- I couch-surfed in my Portland friends' guest rooms (I had a key ring that looked like it belonged to a janitor) while I tried to reinvent myself.
2008, Robert Hartmann McNamara, Homelessness in America, volume 1, page 158:
- The term homeless youth can include shelter-based or street-based youth, as well as young people couch-surfing (doubled-up with friends or lovers).
2009 January, SPIN, volume 25, page 26:
- "Couch-surfing allows musicians who couldn't tour before to get out and get their music heard," Fenton says. It also beats sleeping in a van.