Jump to navigation Jump to search
cyberghetto (plural cyberghettos)
- The equivalent of a ghetto in cyberspace; a place on the Internet etc. where a social group is marginalized.
- 1998, Bosah L. Ebo, Cyberghetto or Cybertopia?: Race, Class, and Gender on the Internet:
- But critics argue that the potential for a cyberghetto is real because the Internet will retain vestiges of traditional communities with similar hierarchical social linkages and class-structural relationships.
- 2011, Jim Miller, Kelly Mayhew, Better to Reign in Hell: Inside the Raiders Fan Empire, page 96:
- Neither an isolated “cyberghetto” where all interests are monolithically shared, nor a democratic “cybercommunity” based on an ethic of reciprocity, virtual Raider Nation is an anarchic free-for-all where the lack of physical proximity changes the rules.