definition by pointing
- (semantics) Ostensive definition.
1950, Richard Robinson, Definition:
- The peculiar advantages of definition by pointing are only two. First, it is available before any other method is, namely, at the beginning of each symbolizer's life.
1954, F.A. Philbrick, Understanding English: An Introduction to Semantics:
- Ampere is likewise incapable of definition by pointing and has to be defined ...
1964, Ronald Christensen, Foundations of Inductive Reasoning:
- He argues that independent of any verbal definitions, we know the meaning of blue and green, say through a definition by pointing.
1976, Peter T. Manicas, Arthur N. Kruger, Logic: The Essentials:
- Closely related to definition by pointing is definition by examples. Using this method to define "suspension bridge," one might mention the Brooklyn Bridge, ...
- For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:definition by pointing.