Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive, formal) To prevent someone from utilizing a platform to express their opinion.
- Synonym: no-platform
- 2018, George Hawley, The Alt-Right, Oxford University Press (→ISBN), page 125:
- In 2017, The Daily Stormer was at the center of a new effort to deplatform the extreme elements of the Alt-Right from the Internet.
- 2019, Mark Dice, The Liberal Media Industrial Complex, Mark Dice (→ISBN)
- Defame, demonetize, and deplatform is their M.O.
- 2020 November 12, Arielle Pardes, “Inside Parler, the Right's Favorite 'Free Speech' App”, in Wired, ISSN 1059-1028:
- There are only two rules on Parler, the “free-speech” social network: First, nothing criminal. Second, no spam. Other than that, you can post what you want, the site advertises, “without fear of being ‘deplatformed’ for your views.”
to prevent someone from utilizing a platform to express their opinion