Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The act or practice of duping; the condition of being deceived.
1840, Thomas Carlyle, chapter 1, in Heroes and Hero Worship:
- Quackery and dupery do abound; in religions, above all in the more advanced decaying stages of religions.
- 1930, "Dishonesty,"Time, 17 Feb,
- Far more widespread than ticket dupery is another form of "misrepresentation" also recently under fire.
- 2003, Joseph P. Fried, "The Duke of Dupery, Still Pulling the Wool," New York Times, 21 Dec, p. N51
- Mr. Abel, who lives in Westport, Conn., has earned his bread as a writer and lecturer on problem-solving tactics, and he has earned a reputation as a duke of dupery since 1959, when he masterminded the Society for Indecency to Naked Animals.