Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɪəˌʃɒt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɪɹˌʃɑt/
Audio (US) (file)
earshot (usually uncountable, plural earshots)
- A distance from which sound is still audible.
- I'll row out on the lake but stay within earshot.
- 1948 August, Aldous Huxley, Ape and Essence, 1st American edition, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, →OCLC:
- Loola glances about her to make sure that nobody is within earshot, then speaks at last almost in a whisper.
- 2013, Buton Richen Drup, Buton's History of Buddhism in India and Its Spread to Tibet:
- Ananda hit the target, an iron drum, from a distance of two earshots. Devadatta, from a distance of four earshots, Sundarananda from a distance of six earshots, and Dandapani [found his target] from one league.
Usually used in the phrases in/within earshot and out of earshot.