Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: 'fess up
- 'fess up (with preceding apostrophe)
- (intransitive, slang) To confess to something; to admit something.
1918, Rex Ellingwood Beach, chapter 26, in The Winds of Chance:
- "‛Fess up," she persisted. "Have you boys been quarreling again?"
- 2008, Barack Obama, "Barack Obama's president-elect press conference - 18 December 2008":
- And you know, one of the things that I hope is that the American people will find when we make a mistake, we're willing to fess up to it and change.
2009 February 26, Roy Furchgott, “You’ve Sold Your Stocks. Now What?”, in New York Times:
- “I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was happening in the financial industry, and I came to the conclusion that people weren’t fessing up,” he said.
confess — see confess