Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: food fish
foodfish (plural foodfishes)
- Any fish used as human food.
1904, “Report of the Conservation commission of Maryland for 1908-1909”, in (Please provide the book title or journal name), number 3:
- While the present conservation of Maryland fisheries is largely concerned with the oyster, which promises such great future returns, the foodfishes should not be neglected.
- 1996, Robert R. Stickney, Aquaculture in the United States: a historical survey, page 186:
- There was little discussion of tilapia as a foodfish during the 1950s and 1960s, but there was interest in using some tilapia species for weed control.
2006, Cassandra De Young, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Review of the state of world marine capture fisheries management: Indian Ocean, ISBN 9251054991, page 216:
- Reported harvests were in the order of 19 600 tonnes for fishmeal, 1 250 tonnes for processed sharks, 150 tonnes for shells, and 1 300 tonnes for foodfishes.