Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To take, receive, or adopt beforehand; assume.
- 1855, John Claudius Pitrat, Paul and Julia:
- You shall bring and lay in our hands tne product of your activity: we will divide it into two parts — the one shall be ours; it shall be sacred; you shall call it tithe; we will foretake it [...]
- 2006, Robert L. Sanders, An Appeal to Reveal Poetic Ideal:
- Enraptures a man to foretake his pleasure, And capture a woman to partake her treasure.
- 2010, Raymond A. Francis, True Experiences: The Sins That Brought Me to My Knees:
- Upon entering, she showed me to the bedroom. I got undressed and laid on the bed, thinking of the course of action I had to foretake as I lay there.
- (transitive) To take or choose before another (option); prefer.
- 2011, Jacqueline Prost, Journey Through Experiences:
- To be healthy and acknowledged I strive to be my very best / I am grateful and thankful For the blessings I do have / I foretake to dream the biggest dream yet [...]