Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Middle English forethynken, from Old English foreþenċan (“to premeditate, consider, be mindful”), corresponding to fore- + think. Cognate with Dutch voordenken, German vordenken (“to think ahead”).
- (transitive, rare) To plan (something) in advance; think, consider, or contrive beforehand; prognosticate.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bishop Hall to this entry?)
- (transitive, rare) To think about beforehand; to anticipate.
1635, John Donne, Song:
- Let not thy divining heart / Forethinke me any ill [...].
- The soul of every man / Prophetically doth forethink thy fall.