Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
foreway (plural foreways)
- (dialectal, Northern England) A highroad.
- (Britain dialectal) An advantage; foredeal.
1852, William Carleton, Traits and stories of the Irish peasantry:
- I got a whisper of this; so by my song, I was determined to cut them all out in that, as well as I did in getting herself; but you know, I couldn't be angry, even if they had got the foreway of me in it, bekase it's an ould custom.
- 1902, Pearson's magazine: Volume 13:
- Provided that old Gilligan had not more horse sense than yourself and got the foreway of you," says I, [...]
- (of a vehicle) The part of a cart or vehicle intended to ensure that the end-thrust is taken against the shoulder collar rather than the linch-pin.