Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The quality of being friendly.
- Synonyms: affability, amicability, bonhomie, geniality, pleasantness
- Antonyms: hostility, unfriendliness
- 1878, Robert Louis Stevenson, “Down the Oise: To Moy”, in An Inland Voyage, London: C[harles] Kegan Paul & Co., […], OCLC 830757, page 141:
- Finding us easy in our ways, he […] told me a cock-and-bull story with the moral of another five francs for the narrator. The thing was palpably absurd; but I paid up, and at once dropped all friendliness of manner, and kept him in his place as an inferior with freezing British dignity. He saw in a moment that he had gone too far, and killed a willing horse; his face fell; I am sure he would have refunded if he could only have thought of a decent pretext.
the quality of being friendly