Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Having a dingy, neglected, and scruffy appearance.
- 1916, James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Chapter 3, 
- Frowsy girls sat along the curbstones before their baskets.
- 1949, George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Part One, Chapter 1, 
- He had seen it lying in the window of a frowsy little junk-shop in a slummy quarter of the town (just what quarter he did not now remember) and had been stricken immediately by an overwhelming desire to possess it.
- See also citations under frowzy.