Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɪpəʊ
- (Britain, offensive, slang) A Gypsy.
- (Britain, offensive, slang, rare) An Egyptian.
- (Britain, military, slang) Gravy.
2006, George H. Coward, Coward's War:
- He had his “dinner” in his canteen and placed it on the ground to go and “scrounge” a chunk of bread to help “fill up”, and as soon as he turned his back a dog walked in at the door of the barn, where we were “in residence” as they say “higher up”, [only we “flew no flag”], and started lapping up some of the “gippo”, [gravy] of which the said dinner was composed [in fact 'twas more “gippo” than dinner that day, so who could blame a dog for being mistaken].
2006, Mildred Joan Tulip, My experiences as a VAD nurse:
- They were always asking for ‘more gippo’ (gravy) which we got for them if we could.
Gypsy — see Gypsy
Egyptian — see Egyptian