- (intransitive) to hit
- (transitive, governs the accusative) to hit a mark
Byssukúlan hæfði höfuð dýrsins.
- The bullet hit the animal in the head.
Eldflaugin hefur hæft skotmarkið.
- The missile has hit the target.
- (intransitive) to suit, to fit
- (transitive, governs the dative) to suit someone, to fit someone
Dökku jakkafötin hæfa honum vel.
- The dark suit fits him well.
- (intransitive) to befit, to behoove, to be appropriate
- (transitive, governs the dative) to befit someone, to behoove someone, to be appropriate for someone
- (impersonal) to befit
This verb needs an inflection-table template.
hæfa f (genitive singular hæfu, no plural)
Það er engin hæfa í þessu!
- There is no truth to this!
Þetta er engin hæfa.
- This is unfair.
- Mainly used in the expression engin hæfa í (“no truth to”).
declension of hæfa