See also: hetæra
- (historical) A mistress, especially a highly cultivated courtesan in ancient Greece.
1957, Lawrence Durrell, Justine:
- But of course our friend is only a shallow twentieth-century reproduction of the great hetairae of the past, the type to which she belongs without knowing it, Lais, Charis and the rest...
- 1971, Gottfried Benn & E. B. Ashton, Primal vision: selected writings
- Woman is dethroned as the primary and supreme sex, debased into inseminable hetaera.
- 1980, Anthony Burgess, Earthly Powers
- Christ appeared, only to reveal himself as the naked god Pan. Ballet of hetaerae and houris, choreography by Italo Castaldi.