Jump to navigation Jump to search
- hieroglyphic: related to or resembling hieroglyphs
- 1831, Thomas Carlyle, Sartor Resartus:
- Nay, what is your Montesquieu himself but a clever infant spelling Letters from a hieroglyphical prophetic Book, the lexicon of which lies in Eternity, in Heaven?
- 1835, An Oxonian, Thaumaturgia:
- Indisputable historical facts, recorded in this invaluable book, were treated by them as hieroglyphical symbols of chemical processes: and the fundamental truths of the christian religion were applied, in a wanton and blasphemous manner, to the purposes of making gold, and distilling the elixir of life.
- 1874, Charles Kingsley, All Saints' Day and Other Sermons:
- It is an hieroglyphical and shadowed lesson of the whole world, and of the creatures of God.
- Pages no better than blanks to common minds, to his, hieroglyphical of wisest secrets. — Prof. Wilson.
- An hieroglyphical scrawl. — Sir Walter Scott.