Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɪpəʊ/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈhɪpoʊ/
- Rhymes: -ɪpəʊ
hippo (plural hippos)
- Clipping of .
- 1899 February, Joseph Conrad, “The Heart of Darkness”, in Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine, volume CLXV, number M, New York, N.Y.: The Leonard Scott Publishing Company, […], →OCLC, part I, page 218:
- There was an old hippo that had the bad habit of getting out on the bank and roaming at night over the station grounds.
- 2006 June 24, The Weekend Argus:
- The Eastern Cape village whose dam has been taken over by a hippo will decide next week what happens to the animal.
- (historical, slang, South Africa) An armored personnel carrier used by the South African Defence Force.
- Coordinate term: mellow yellow