one's back is up
(Redirected from his back is up)Jump to navigation Jump to search
From the way a cat, when angry, raises or arches its back.
- (idiomatic) One is offended or angry.
- 1835, William Hayley, The Life and Letters of William Cowper:
- My back is up, and I cannot hear the thought of wooing him any farther, nor would do it, though he were as pig a gentleman (look you) as Lucifer himself.
- 2011, Jeannie Watt, The Baby Truce, →ISBN, page 84:
- And I want you to be nice to Patty. For some reason her back is up.
- 2014, Kristin Butcher, Cabin Girl, →ISBN:
- Now my back is up. “Yes, the witch,” I hiss.