- In an impressionistic manner.
- 1909, William James, A Pluralistic Universe:
- I make no claim to understanding it, I treat it merely impressionistically.
- 1914, Ada Leverson, Bird of Paradise:
- Bertha's description of her as having flat red hair, a receding chin and long ear-rings was impressionistically accurate.
- 2005 May 27, Keith Harris, “Wish That I Knew What I Know Now”, in Chicago Reader:
- Separation Sunday and The Sunset Tree both work because their story cycles are composed not with conventional conflict-and-resolution plot mechanics but of emotional snapshots that work together impressionistically.