junk science (uncountable)
- (uncountable, pejorative) Assertions that have the appearance, but not the actuality, of scientific support.
- His testimony was worse than science fiction: it was junk science.
- (countable, pejorative) A cluster of assertions, publications, and experts that have the appearance, but not the actuality, of a scientific specialty.
- 2006, Roger W. Shuy, Linguistics in the Courtroom: A Practical Guide, page 99
- Our field falls neither in the category of immediately acceptable DNA experts at one end of the spectrum nor in the category of the immediately unacceptable so-called junk sciences at the other end.
- A label used to attempt to discredit expert testimony and claimed scientific support for positions taken on some matters of public policy.