Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
kiverlid (plural kiverlids)
- 1824, Lydia Sigourney, Sketch of Connecticut, Forty Years Since, Hartford: Oliver D. Cooke and Sons, page 110
- "I ha'nt been used to seein' kiverlids spread on the floor to walk on. We are glad to get 'em to kiver us up with a nights."
- 1830, Silas Pinckney Holbrook, Sketches, By a Traveller, Boston: Carter and Hendee, page 249
- Did I tell you how they sleep in Japan? Even as you and I bivouacked near the White Mountains; on the floor. A coverlid, (or as I heard a senator call it, a kiverlid) stuffed like one of our comforters, is spread upon the plank, and a billet of wood, with a place cut for the head, stands substitute for a pillow....
- 1895, Will Allen Dromgoole, The Heart of Old Hickory, Boston: Estes and Lauriat, page 26
- An' his piller's all ruffled up, an' the kiverlid all white ez snow.
- 1913, Margaret Warner Morley, The Carolina Mountains, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., page 172
- "I've made a kiverlid for each of my daughters but the least one, and I ain't made her nar'," says a woman....