Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- From crocodile tears. A crocodile sheds tears while eating its prey. The krokodilanto bemoans the fate of Esperanto while not bothering to speak it.
- Ferrari, an Esperantist in Paris in the 1930s, would comment Kion volas tiuj krokodiloj? (What do those crocodiles want?) when noisy non-Esperantists entered the cafe where he was speaking Esperanto with friends.
- Students of Andreo Cseh. When Cseh taught Esperanto, students were only allowed to speak their native language when they were holding a wooden crocodile he always brought with him.
The latter two may be allusions to the idiom rather than its source.
- (slang) to speak among Esperantists in a language besides Esperanto, especially one's native language or a language not spoken by everyone present (literally: "to 'crocodile'")
Conjugation of krokodili
- malkrokodili (“to speak in Esperanto among non-Esperanto speakers”)
- ^ Andreo Ĉerpiljodo (2006: 185) Lingvaj Babilaĵoj