Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- From the fact that crocodiles' extremely large mouths make an apt comparison for carelessly flapping one's jaws without consideration.
- Ferrari, an Esperantist in Paris in the 1930s, would comment Kion volas tiuj krokodiloj? (What do those crocodiles want?) when noisy non-Esperantists entered the cafe where he was speaking Esperanto with friends.
- Students of Andreo Cseh. When Cseh taught Esperanto, students were only allowed to speak their native language when they were holding a wooden crocodile he always brought with him.
The latter two may be allusions to the idiom rather than its source.
- (slang) to speak among Esperantists in a language besides Esperanto, especially one's native language or a language not spoken by everyone present (literally, "to crocodile")
Conjugation of krokodili
- malkrokodili (“to speak in Esperanto among non-Esperanto speakers”)
- ^ Arika Okrent (2010: 113) In the Land of Invented Languages: A Celebration of Linguistic Creativity, Madness, and Genius
- ^ Lindstedt, Jouko (2010) Esperanto as a Family Language
- ^ Joseph F. Conroy (1999: 223 pp.) Esperanto-English/English-Esperanto Dictionary & Phrasebook
- ^ Andreo Ĉerpiljodo (2006: 185) Lingvaj Babilaĵoj
- plural of