Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To convert from church controlled to independent of the church; to secularize.
- They will laicise each of the schools in the district.
- (transitive) To reduce from clergy to layman.
- Due to his controversial views the Vatican decided to laicise the priest.
- (intransitive) To convert to lay status.
- The soup kitchen laicised, it moved out of the church and registered as an independent non-profit.
to reduce from clergy to layman
to convert to lay status