Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: metāls
- plural of
- (rail transport) the rail tracks owned by a company or organisation; a rail network
- It was appropriate that 'King' number 6000 began the return to steam on British Rail metals in 1971.
- 1901, Kipling, Kim, ch. 8
- Now and again a night train roared along the metals within twenty feet of him; but he had all the Oriental’s indifference to mere noise, and it did not even weave a dream through his slumber.
- 1913, D.H. Lawrence, Sons and Lovers, chapter 7
- They stood on the foot-bridge over Boathouse Station and looked at the metals gleaming coldly.
agree or correspond; to be in harmony
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of metal