mononym (plural mononyms)
- A single name by which a person, thing etc is known.
- The singer-songwriter Madonna Louise Ciccone is known by the mononym Madonna.
- A single term for a thing or concept, allowing for no synonyms.
1993, Richard Alan Strehlow & Sue Ellen Wright, Standardizing Terminology for Better Communication, →ISBN:
- ISO 704 and ISO 1087 prescribe mononymy as highly desirable for standardized terminologies, but as experience shows, individuals in developing disciplines (having unsettled terminology) are rarely able to agree on mononyms.
- Mononym. A word a Day, 2003.